Aaron and Brian have many, many, many thoughts on the tech that shaped 2017, and make some predictions about 2018 and beyond.
- Previous Year Predictions: 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014,
- 15 Trends Shaping Tech in 2018
- [PODCAST] @PodCTL - Containers | Kubernetes - RSS Feed, iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, TuneIn and all your favorite podcast players
- [A CLOUD GURU] [Get The Cloudcast Alexa Skill](https://acloud.guru/cloudcast)
- [A CLOUD GURU] [DISCOUNT: Serverless for Beginners (only $15 instead of $29)](https://acloud.guru/join/ACGTheCloudcast)
- [A CLOUD GURU] [FREE: Alexa Development for Absolute Beginners](https://acloud.guru/learn/intro-alexa?promoCode=c10udcast-10v3s-a13xa)
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Biggest Tech M&A; of 2017 and VC Funding is down
- Big Mergers: Amazon+Whole Foods; CVS+Aetna; Intel+Mobileye; AT&T;+Time Warner; Disney+21st Century Fox
- Storage companies are becoming HCI companies (thoughts on owning a server supply chain vs. software defined vs. commodity hardware)
- Containers are becoming more mainstream - but so many misleading “surveys”
- Nobody has a clear advantage in “hybrid cloud” architectures
- Public cloud is a portfolio game and data acquisition game, not a cost reduction game
- Building new applications is still a small % of corporate applications
- There’s such a big gap between cloud releases and non-cloud releases (timeframes, updates, informing the market, etc.)
2018 Cloudcast Areas of Interest
- What happened to DevOps? Is it now in Phase 2 as “SRE”, or is it unobtainable?
- What’s happening in China? How will it impact the rest of the Global markets?
- Will AI & ML become tangible to non-Data Scientists? What’s the Fantasy Football of AI & ML, for business?
- Where and how will voice technologies (Alexa, Google Home, etc.) fit in long term?
- How will we track the Public Cloud tipping point?
- What is Serverless most disruptive to, or is it additive to app-dev market size?
- Should we track “Serverless” by the ServerlessConf or AWS events?
- Should we be following “edge computing”? What are the core focus areas?
- Continued decline of the middleman in all industries
- Awareness of Cloud Computing “costs” becomes more mainstream
- Does Security even matter anymore? What bigger events can happen?