DESCRIPTION: Brian talks with Brandon Whichard (@bwhichard, Co-Host of Software Defined Talk podcast) about the tech/cloud trends that have shaped the first half of 2019.
SHOW SPONSOR LINKS:
- Digital Ocean Homepage
- Get Started Now and Get a free $50 Credit on Digital Ocean
- Datadog Homepage - Modern Monitoring and Analytics
- Try Datadog yourself by starting a free, 14-day trial today. Listeners of this podcast will also receive a free Datadog T-shirt
Get 20% off VelocityConf passes using discount code CLOUD
CLOUD NEWS OF THE WEEK:
SHOW INTERVIEW LINKS:
Topic 1 - Welcome to the show. I’ve been listening to your show, Software Defined Talk, for quite a while. Tell us about your show, your co- hosts and the types of things you discuss on the show?
Topic 2 - What are some of the biggest trends you’ve seen (or been discussing) so far in 2019? Anything really surprise you?
Big IPOs in 2019 - AirBnB, Uber, Lyft, Pinterest, WeWork, Zoom, etc. - the GigEconomy
- The rise of Kubernetes, the decline of Cloud Foundry
- OSS licensing wars
VMware seems to be acquiring a new company every week
- VMware + Heptio + Pivotal + Bitnami= ?
- VMware now has a managed offering in AWS, Azure, IBM Cloud, GCP, Alibaba
Topic 3 - AWS has continued to be the leading public cloud for a decade now. Do you see anything slowing AWS down?
Topic 4 - There were lots of articles earlier in the year about big public cloud contracts between web companies and the public cloud (hundreds of millions in cloud spending). Many of those companies are now struggling as they have gone IPO. If they struggle to make revenue (and subsequently their cloud payments), do you see this having any effect on sentiment about public cloud? * *
Topic 5 - There is starting to be some noise in the news and the markets about a potential economic slowdown. How much do you think about what that might mean to the tech industry, and subsequently buyers and users of tech? Sometimes in slower times, we see the creativity of new tech emerge (2001 - mass websites; 2007/8 - AWS and iPhone, 2019/2020 - ??)
Email: show at thecloudcast dot net
- Twitter: @thecloudcastnet and @ServerlessCast