DESCRIPTION: Aneel Lahkani (@aneel, Go To Market Consultant and Advisor) talks about how SaaS impacts today's cloud computing decisions, the challenges of running a profitable SaaS business, migrating to SaaS services, and how public clouds compete and partner with SaaS offerings.
SHOW SPONSOR LINKS:
- Datadog Homepage - Modern Monitoring and Analytics
- Try Datadog yourself by starting a free, 14-day trial today. Listeners of this podcast will also receive a free Datadog T-shirt
- UpCloud - World’s fastest cloud servers
- UpCloud (promo) - Sign up for free, receive a $50 credit and try us out!
- MongoDB Homepage - The most popular database for modern applications
- MongoDB Atlas - MongoDB-as-a-Service on AWS, Azure and GCP
Exploring the SaaS Business Model (Cloudcast #390 - March 2019)
Product & Marketing for Engineers (Aneel’s Blog)
Topic 1 - Welcome back to the show. For anyone that doesn’t know you, tell us a little bit about your background, and some of the areas you focus on now.
Topic 2 - What is SaaS in 2020? (Delivery model, acquisition and usage model, experimentation model, etc.). Is it a finite thing, or has it been componentized?
Topic 3 - Is it possible to build software and then make it SaaS, or do the business and software have to be built in parallel with the SaaS offering?
Topic 4 - Does anyone actually “migrate” (successfully) existing types of applications to SaaS, or should the focus of SaaS be on breaking free from old approaches?
Topic 5 - We’re seeing many “tools” companies become “platform” companies and offer things that blur the lines between SaaS and something else (GitHub, Salesforce, etc.). Does this become the way that they compete against AWS or Azure?
Topic 6 - Why do you think AWS doesn’t have a broader set of SaaS offerings at this point?
Email: show at thecloudcast dot net
- Twitter: @thecloudcastnet