DESCRIPTION: Aaron and Brian talk with Robert Reeves (@robertreeves, Co- Founder / CTO of @Datical) about how to bring agility to databases to match the speed of cloud-native applications.
SHOW SPONSOR LINKS:
- Datadog Homepage - Modern Monitoring and Analytics
- Try Datadog yourself by starting a free, 14-day trial today. Listeners of this podcast will also receive a free Datadog T-shirt
- MongoDB Homepage - The most popular database for modern applications
- MongoDB Atlas - MongoDB-as-a-Service on AWS, Azure and GCP
- [DONUT RUN DONATIONS] * *
CLOUD NEWS OF THE WEEK:
- Atlassian launches new serverless cloud development platform
Liquibase Homepage - leading open-source tool for database schema change management.
Topic 1 - Welcome to the show. Before we get into a broader discussion, tell us a little bit about your background.
Topic 2 - We talk about DevOps a lot on this show. And we talk a lot about various types of databases. But for some reason, we very rarely talk about them together. Why is that? It’s not as if the world of cloud-native applications are all stateless.
Topic 3 - What do you see as the most common challenges that companies have with bringing databases into this world of more frequent software changes (DevOps, Agile, etc.)?
Topic 4 - You’re involved in an open-source project called “LIquibase”, which is focused on database schema change management. How does that help database move into a more automated world?
Topic 5 - Do you find that a lack of automation around databases is a bigger challenge from a continuous deployment perspective, or a security/patching perspective? (or both)
Topic 6 - People are very fearful of databases going down, which restricts them from making changes. How do you suggest companies getting more comfortable in making frequent changes to databases?
Email: show at thecloudcast dot net
- Twitter: @thecloudcastnet