DESCRIPTION: Aaron and Brian talk with Kevin McHale (Senior Staff Engineer at Etsy) about the migration of their Big Data / Data Science platform from on-premises to Google Cloud, the business drivers for the migration, and the lessons the team has learned throughout the multi-year process.
SHOW SPONSOR LINKS:
- Digital Ocean Homepage
- Get Started Now and Get a free $50 Credit on Digital Ocean
- Datadog Homepage - Modern Monitoring and Analytics
- Try Datadog yourself by starting a free, 14-day trial today. Listeners of this podcast will also receive a free Datadog T-shirt
- *[FREE] *Try an IT Pro Challenge
Get 20% off VelocityConf passes using discount code CLOUD
CLOUD NEWS OF THE WEEK:
SHOW INTERVIEW LINKS:
- Etsy’s Engineering Blog (“Code as Craft”)
Topic 1 - Welcome to the show. Before we dive into your work at Etsy, tell us a little bit about your background prior to Etsy - you’re pretty good at math.
Topic 2 - You’ve been working on two very interesting projects at Etsy - both building/evolving the data platform, and helping to manage the migration to Google Cloud Platform (GCP). Let’s start by talking about the Etsy data platform.
Topic 3 - What have been some of the business drivers that are pushing the data platform to collect more information, to become more cloud-native, and to better enable data pipelines?
Topic 4 - At some point in 2017-18, Etsy decided to migrate some of the platforms to Google Cloud. Tell us about that decision-process, and how the migration has been going. What have been some of the lessons learned?
Topic 5 - How does working with Google Cloud (or just being in the public cloud) help accelerate the work that you’re doing on evolving the Etsy data platform? * *
Email: show at thecloudcast dot net
- Twitter: @thecloudcastnet and @ServerlessCast