DESCRIPTION: Brian talks with Uma Chingunde (@the_umac, Engineering Manager at @Stripe) about engineering career paths as an IC or Manager, how managers can be effective mentors, job rotations, and how diversity is an opportunity for every team.
SHOW SPONSOR LINKS:
- Datadog Homepage - Modern Monitoring and Analytics
- Try Datadog yourself by starting a free, 14-day trial today. Listeners of this podcast will also receive a free Datadog T-shirt
- MongoDB Atlas - Automated cloud MongoDB service
- Visit mongodb.com/cloudcast to learn more. MongoDB Atlas handles all the costly database operations and admin tasks that you’d rather not spend time on, like security, high availability, data recovery, monitoring, and elastic scaling. Try MongoDB Atlas today!
Get 20% off VelocityConf passes using discount code CLOUD
CLOUD NEWS OF THE WEEK:
- Chef announces fully open-source software
- Aqua Security announces $62M funding round
- The Rise of Progressive Delivery for Systems Resilience
- We Looked at 101 Startup CEO Salaries – Here’s What We Found
SHOW INTERVIEW LINKS:
Uma Chingunde’s Background:
Stripe Homepage - Online payment processing for internet businesses
Topic 1 - Welcome to the show. Tell us about your background, as well as some of the things you’re working on these days at Stripe.
Topic 2 - We’ve discussed the career mindset of people more on the sales/marketing side of companies, but you’re beginning to look at this within engineering teams. Let’s start with the framework of how you think about that for yourself and then for people within your team.
Topic 3 - What are traditional vs non traditional IC and manager paths you can explore?
Topic 4 - How do you think about the engineer vs manager track? Does it always have to be these two options, or are you seeing other paths, maybe more senior options as an IC?
Topic 5 - What are some variations on the above for underrepresented groups?
Email: show at thecloudcast dot net
- Twitter: @thecloudcastnet and @ServerlessCast