DESCRIPTION: Stephen Pinkerton (@spnktn, Product Manager @datadoghq) talks about the latest trends that Datadog has observed from monitoring serverless applications in the public cloud, adoption rates, as well as how serverless is deployed along with containers.
SHOW SPONSOR LINKS:
- MongoDB Homepage - The most popular database for modern applications
- MongoDB Atlas - MongoDB-as-a-Service on AWS, Azure and GCP
- Datadog Homepage - Modern Monitoring and Analytics
Try Datadog yourself by starting a free, 14-day trial today. Listeners of this podcast will also receive a free Datadog T-shirt
CLOUD NEWS OF THE WEEK - http://bit.ly/cloudcast-cnotw
- Datadog's State of Serverless Report
Topic 1 - Welcome to the show; Tell us about your background, as you’ve worked for a number of interesting companies prior to Datadog.
Topic 2 - Datadog recently released a report about trends in serverless usage. Before we dive into some of the highlights and insights, tell us about the scope of the report.
Are you able to tell anything about the types of companies being monitored? (industries, size of company, etc.)
Topic 3 - Highlights from the State of Serverless report
The majority of functions are still fairly small, and don’t run very long (small memory footprint).
- Node.js and Python are the leading languages/frameworks being used (almost 90%)
- Nearly half of EC2 users have adopted Lambda
- Early adopters of Containers (ECS) have adopted Lambda - 80%+
Discuss which event-driven data sources are the most frequently used
Topic 4 - As you’re analyzing this usage data, what are some of the things you’re thinking about as a Product Manager for functionality that you can provide to help better monitor these rapidly changing environments?
Email: show at thecloudcast dot net
- Twitter: @thecloudcastnet